6.16.2011

She said Yes

I know that's the chorus to some country song "and she said yes"..I can't remember anything else from the song but the tune is going through my head. I thought maybe I should include the point in which Blake asked me to marry him in our little flashback week.

So it was senior year in college. We had been officially dating since Christmas social (after) Sophomore year until this point. We broke up once too...I left that part out of our story didn't I? Probably a good thing. Anyway, so we are dating. It's pledge season at ACU which means long days and nights and we so happen to have just had bid night. The night when the little pledges (NuNu's) find out their dreams are coming true and they just might be a Kojie some day if they can get through pledging! Ha. So...long night, up all night and we decide to make a trip back to Dallas to see Blake's family. It so happen to be his birthday weekend too.



Let me also make a quick note I had been waiting for this proposal for a while. I couldn't wait to marry the guy. So in my waiting we had looked at rings and we had talked about all sorts of things. We get to Dallas and go to the zoo. Come to find out, the zoo closed early that day so Blake had some stalling to do. We went to the mall and he tried on clothes (probably has only happened 2 times since), we grabbed a burger and we looked at rings. When we were looking at rings Blake kept asking me if I liked rings that I had never ever said I liked. I was getting a little aggravated to say the least. Here we are, getting close to being engaged and it totally set me back that he STILL didn't know what I would like in a ring! I was really mad all the way to his parents house and in my head I was thinking "I have to call my mom. He still doesn't know what I want." While I'm sure Blake was thinking "maybe I should call this thing off, who is this angry girl in my passenger seat."



We pulled up to his parents house and I could see lights through the fence. I said "are you serious". Blake replied "just get out of the car". So I did. We went through the fence and the lights were lit up (which I had previously been told it was for his dad's business meeting) there were candles in the pool I think and a little spot for him to propose. So he asked me to marry him, and I said yes. Little did I know my parents were inside and my brother had driven down with Lindsay and Tucker from ACU. They all came out screaming and cheering and I was soooo glad they were all there! We had a nice dinner outside with the entire family that night.




Sidenote: This was the first time for Mr. and Mrs. Shipley to meet Tucker ( I call them that here b/c I'm sure that's how they were introduced to Tucker at this point). He gracefully fell down the stairs coming to congratulate us!

Of course we kept the engagement a secret b/c I had to have a pass the candle back at school! I was the keeper of the garter (I always knew who was engaged).



Thanks for asking me to be your wife Blake! Glad I said Yes. So, very very glad.

No comments: